In 2015 the Harbin Snow and Ice Festival will have the theme of ” Happy Ice Snow Exciting City.” It will open on 5th January 2015 with a large firework display and many activities. Having recently planned a trip to Harbin I know online info about Harbin venues can be confusion so here is the low-down on where to go and what you must see at the Harbin 2015 Snow and Ice Festival. I visited in 2014 and will be pleased to help anyone who wants any advise or further info, just leave a comment.
Overall name of festival: Harbin Snow and Ice Festival
With 3 main venues: (and a few minor venues)
VENUE ONE (and the best and biggest not-to-be-missed)
NAMES: Harbin Ice and Snow World; Grand World of Ice and Snow
- Visit at night definitely. Takes about 2 hours to enjoy it. There is food and a souvenir store inside.
- 09:00-12:00 150CNY adults; 120CNY kids under 1.2 meters tall
- 12:00-21:00 300CNY adults (330CNY during New Year); 160CNY kids
- Venue 1 and 2 are both across the river from the city center so what ever Harbin hotel you choose you will need transport to visit these sites.
VENUE TWO (and the next best must-see, also huge)
NAMES: Sun Island Park; Snow Sculpture Exposition; Sun Island Scenic Area (maybe also Ice Sculpture Garden/Harbin International Snow Sculpture Art Expo/Ice and Snow Art Hall)
- Visit during the day
- Combine with a visit to the Polarland if you want to as it is right next door.
- Time spent there between 2 hours and 3 depending if you are with kids and whether you want to play in the snow, take a sled ride, eat etc.
- There is an entrance ticket and a ticket for a small bus which takes you from the entrance around the sculptures. The bus ride is not necessary, just an added extra if you don’t fancy lots of walking.
- 8:30-19:00 during the festival
- 240CNY adults; 120CNY kids 1.2-1.4 meters tall; kids under 1.2 meters tall go free. 260CNY combo tickets entrance and bus inside the park.
NAMES: Zhaolin Park (the location); Ice Lantern Show; Harbin Ice Lantern Art Fair ( another event in the same park); Harbin International Ice Sculpture Competition (same event is also held in venue 2 above); Ice Lantern Garden Party (an event held in the park but often thought to be a separate venue); Harbin Ice Lantern Artistic Show
- If you have to miss one venue miss this one
- The park is about 5 minute walk (or less) from the central pedestrian street and you can even see it from the Ibis Hotel; it is the only one of the venues that is really in the city center and the only one you probably don’t need transport to.
- Entrance 200CNY adults; 100CNY kids between 1.2 meters and 1.4 meters, under 1.2 meters enter for free(during Ice Festival). The Ice Lantern Garden Party is held in Zhaolin Park and entrance is a separate 100CNY for adults while kids under 1.4 meters tall enter for free.
- Open hours 09:00-21:00